A Lesson Learned

So one thing I take pride in, is planning a project thoroughly. So that when it comes time to execute, I have all the pieces of the puzzle ready to go together. Recently I completed a bathroom for a friend in the business; he is an electrician. He provided me with all of the material for the tile floor and tub surround, or so i thought. I went along with my normal routine like usual.

Hardibacker the walls and floors. There was an extra step for this one, as we installed a in floor electric heating system.

Tape and seal seams.

Install waterproof membrane.

Set ledger board layout tile and start tiling.

This was all going off without a hitch; no problems whatsoever, not a cloud in the sky. Or so I thought.

Here is were my lesson was learned. I got about 85% finished and realized that the border they supplied me was short by 4 pieces!

DOAH!

Okay remain calm, call customer to inquire about the tile. He told me, “Oh call mohawk tile, that is were we got it.” Well sure enough they can’t identify the tile, can’t tell me who can, and don’t know what to do, double DOAH!

So what am I left to do but chip out what I already installed and replace it with something new. Now, the finished project turned out great, maybe better than it would have with the tiles originally supplied by the customer, depending on your taste.

Bottom line is always make sure you have enough material to finish a job prior to starting. Or at least know you can get more of it if you run short.

Here you see version 1.0 of the shower surround.

IMG_20130320_133222_092

Soap dishes i got were not quite with the style of the provided tile so they were replaced with marble corner dishes.

IMG_20130321_104237_836

Take note of the border looks okay right well if i only had enough to finish

IMG_20130321_105815

This is as far as i got when i realized my dilemma.

IMG_20130321_131609

IMG_20130322_164939_497

Floor almost done just some intricate cuts left to do.

IMG_20130326_145954

Here you see the new border installed.

An Array of photos of the finished product. The customer wanted to continue the bullnose on the edge of the shower surround to the floor as baseboard. I was skeptical but it turned out great. Even got to do some mitered corners for the tile baseboard, a first for me.

IMG_20130326_151846_572 IMG_20130327_170043_630 IMG_20130327_170102_962 IMG_20130327_170238 IMG_20130328_131110_447 IMG_20130328_131121_036 IMG_20130328_131154_643 IMG_20130328_131203_430 IMG_20130328_131223_964

Advertisements

Closet Rehab: Expanding Storage Space in an Older Home

The surrounding suburbs of Philadelphia contain many beautiful homes, especially along the main line. Areas like Bryn mawr, Villanova, Radnor have homes that were built in the 1940’s and 1950’s that sit on lots of land, have gorgeous views and a lot of custom touches. Problem is, many of these older homes do not contain much storage to speak of. This last project I finished consisted of some custom construction and renovations in a Main Line home built in the 1950’s. Here is some before pictures of the first closet.

IMG_1787There were some built-in’s in the closet, however they were not very helpful.IMG_1788

                                      There was some duct work that needed a custom plywood enclosure.

                                                                                          IMG_1789

Here are the after pictures. As you can see the small door was removed and the wall was

re-framed to accept a modern bi-fold door 48″ is much more useful of the space given.

IMG_1794IMG_1795

Here  you can see the custom plywood enclosure for the duct work.

Now they have a nice clean usable space to create a new closet in.

IMG_1796IMG_1798

Here is the second closet remodel. There were two rooms that shared a wall.

The room pictured below had the closet a 30″x90″ space.

                                             The adjoined room had no closet.

IMG_1790                                                                     IMG_1791

You can see some of the “built-in’s” There was a large portion of this closet that was occupied by a “cedar chest” type closet in a closet situation.    There was no lighting in this closet. Finished product. A new door was cut in and framed in the unfortunate room with no prior closet. Lighting was added to both closets. The closet was divided in half by a plywood partition wall. IMG_1801           IMG_1802           IMG_1804            IMG_1799              IMG_1800