An interior designer approached me about 4 months ago about a project she was working on in the Denver Highlands. She had purchased a approximately 1,000 sqft property that basically needed gutting and needed a G.C. who could not only manage the project, but who could leverage their carpenter skills for built-ins, a kitchen, bathrooms, the works.
From digging out the basement to add another 1,000 sqft, finishing that basement, putting in two bathrooms, tiling and putting in a kitchen, the overall project turned out beautifully. The interior designer sold the property this past week, exactly one week after putting it on the market, for a full-price, cash offer.
Below are some pictures of the finished product.
So one thing I take pride in, is planning a project thoroughly. So that when it comes time to execute, I have all the pieces of the puzzle ready to go together. Recently I completed a bathroom for a friend in the business; he is an electrician. He provided me with all of the material for the tile floor and tub surround, or so i thought. I went along with my normal routine like usual.
Hardibacker the walls and floors. There was an extra step for this one, as we installed a in floor electric heating system.
Tape and seal seams.
Install waterproof membrane.
Set ledger board layout tile and start tiling.
This was all going off without a hitch; no problems whatsoever, not a cloud in the sky. Or so I thought.
Here is were my lesson was learned. I got about 85% finished and realized that the border they supplied me was short by 4 pieces!
Okay remain calm, call customer to inquire about the tile. He told me, “Oh call mohawk tile, that is were we got it.” Well sure enough they can’t identify the tile, can’t tell me who can, and don’t know what to do, double DOAH!
So what am I left to do but chip out what I already installed and replace it with something new. Now, the finished project turned out great, maybe better than it would have with the tiles originally supplied by the customer, depending on your taste.
Bottom line is always make sure you have enough material to finish a job prior to starting. Or at least know you can get more of it if you run short.
Here you see version 1.0 of the shower surround.
An Array of photos of the finished product. The customer wanted to continue the bullnose on the edge of the shower surround to the floor as baseboard. I was skeptical but it turned out great. Even got to do some mitered corners for the tile baseboard, a first for me.